Suncoast Communities Blood Bank (SCBB) is committed to cultivating the “next generation” of
blood donors, and high school student supporters through its Generation Give scholarship program. Studies show that individuals who are introduced to the importance of donating blood at a young age are more likely to become donors for life.
About the Generation Give Scholarship Program
- High schools in Charlotte, DeSoto, Manatee, and Sarasota counties are eligible to earn scholarship funds for their students, by holding a minimum of three blood drives during the school year.
- In order for scholarships to be awarded, applicants MUST meet the Student Eligibility Requirements. Funds will not be rolled over into the next school year if no qualified students apply.
Student Eligibility Requirements
A student must demonstrate support of the school blood drive program by doing one of the following:
- Donate blood three times their senior year (donations with another blood bank will be counted)
- Volunteer at an SCBB donor center their senior year
- Volunteer as a blood buddy* three times during their senior year. (*a blood buddy is a student volunteer who
coordinates their school’s blood drives or helps on the days of the blood drive.)
- Student must provide written confirmation of their participation by completing the Volunteer Confirmation Form
- Applicants must graduate during the current scholarship cycle.
Scholarships funds are calculated on the total number of donor registrations and student volunteers at each school. For example: a school that has 500 students register to donate or volunteer, during the school year, will receive $5.00 for each student, for a total of $2,500 in scholarships. The minimum award is $500, and possibly higher, depending on the total number of registrations/volunteers at the end of the school year, and the qualifications of the applicant. Note ‐ scholarships are not guaranteed for each school or student if applicants do not meet the scholarship standards.
Students must submit an application, which will be reviewed by a committee comprised of blood bank employees, board
of directors and community leaders.
Awards are based on:
- Accrued funds for the student’s school
- Student’s contribution to the school blood drive or volunteer service to SCBB
- Quality and content of application
Application and Deadline
The 2011‐2012 scholarship application is available on-line below, the school bloodmobile, or our donor
centers in Manatee, Sarasota, Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch, Nokomis and Arcadia.
Download the full 2011-2012 Generation Give scholarship application packet (includes guidelines, application, teacher/administrator recommendation form and volunteer confirmation form)
Applicants must submit:
Applications can be submitted online or mailed or delivered to
Suncoast Communities Blood Bank
1760 Mound Street
Sarasota, FL 34236
Deadline to apply for a scholarship is May 10, 2012. Note: Scholarships are paid directly to the college, university or technical school which the student is attending.
Incomplete applications, or applications postmarked or hand‐delivered after the submission deadline, will not be considered.
Questions? Contact Pam Wellman at 954-1600 ext 1031 or gro.bbcs@namllewp
» Find a Donor Center
» Find a Blood Mobile